Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Why I'm not posting WIPS

I decided that for this site

I won't be posting up work in progress shots, and only put up finished models. The reason for this is because on all the places I post and all the other sites I have had I have put up WIPs for critique and because I was proud of my meagre accomplishments. It was ok while I was learning because I needed the feedback. I think I have got to a point now that I know enough about the layout of my mesh and the modelling process to be able to effectively critique my own work, and I know enough people that I can talk to individually to get valued feedback.

WIP shots also look very unprofessional and messy. It's a whole lot harder to look at someone else's WIP and see what it could turn into. It just looks like an unfinished model, and it's pretty boring looking at a blog full of unfinished models. I have found recently that WIP shots demotivate me as well. It's like I subconsciously tell myself "well, it's on the net, I don't have to work on it so much now". And that leads to projects dragging out longer than they should.

Besides those good reasons, I'm hoping this blog will have some impressive models on it in the coming months and I don't want to clutter it up with bad WIP shots. No one wants to have to wade through a river of crap to get to a couple of shiny dimes.

That means less models on the blog, but higher quality of entries, which I am very comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment